September 02, 2010

ARITHMETIC





I think my 5th grader has entered High School.





I am overwhelmed already. On Monday, my daughter spent 2 hours doing JUST math. Then she had literacy, spelling, typing practice, and then reading. Amidst all this, I’m helping my 2nd grader with her homework (not hard, I’ll admit, but she had a lot to do as well.)





So, this subject does tend to get a little controversial. How much homework is too much?





My daughter did 3 hours of homework on Monday, 2 hours on Tuesday, 2 1/2 hours on Wednesday, etc. And it’s not the kind of homework I can just let her be alone to do. I need to be with her, to help teach and watch how she does it. All the while I am trying to start dinner, but end up getting it on the table late because of homework.





So here’s how I see it. 5th grade gets intense. I understand that they are trying to get kids ready for Jr. High. This is good practice, but here’s where I argue the point. They are in school 7 hours a day. Granted, there’s time set aside for recess and lunch, but in all that time, couldn’t they get some of that homework finished IN SCHOOL and bring home less?




{And don’t forget about the extra projects, the book reports, the weeks of studying for an upcoming test in math, spelling, science, social studies, and history.}




Homework is vital and important. I like to see what they know and remember outside of the classroom. However, I also think kids these days don’t get to play like they used to. They should get time to be kids after a long, hard (and sometimes) stressful day.


Is the homework load too much?



I want highly educated kids. I don’t want to send them to school just to learn fluff. I like to see teachers motivate and encourage them, but do you think there is a point where it becomes overly excessive?




I’ll step off my soapbox. But I want to know, what do you think? Do you find it ridiculous or fair?




What are your opinions on the matter? Are our schools helping our children achieve their potential, or are they failing them because of class size and homework load? A little bit of both?



On a different note...

You gotta LOVE free stuff! Jordan is doing a GiVeAwAy! Details HeRe! :)



2 comments:

Becky said...

I think a really good teacher can assign minimal homework and still teach the same material. Until children get into Jr High, I see absolutely no point for them to do even an hour of homework. I definitely feel the same way as you! Good luck- I hope that her homework will calm down!

Gayatri said...

I agree with you that kids now-a-days hardly get time to play. Especially, its winter time when the school is in full swing and the days are smaller. But, reinforcement is the part of learning which helps them to ingrain the concepts. So, homework is a necessity but, how much? Surely, averaging 2 hours/day for a 5th grader seems quite some work.

My kids are going to start 3rd grade next week and about a week earlier, I tried a fun quiz on some math stuff they learn t the previous year, and they had totally forgotten everything that they learn t last year. My mind went into a spin when I realized that I will have to revise all this with them. :-)