January 24, 2012

DEATH OF A LONG FRIEND


I'm a little heartsick today.
My 7 year old friend died.
My computer.
Yep. My computer died.
(I hope you didn't have tears in your eyes--that would be wasted water!)

It was coming. It had a very prolonged death, but then that nasty trojan virus came and kicked its knees out from under whatever remaining months and possible year it had left, and it died a swift and tragic death in a matter of 60 seconds.

And I helped killed it. On accident.
Darn, mailicious virus.
Miraculously, I saved ALL my information the week before, so I didn't lose much, or this  post would be WAY tragic.


So my husband and I have been in talks. We are on the crossroads of wondering what to do now. Mac or PC?

We had a PC--but everyone keeps saying the MAC is so much better, so much cooler. So please help! What do you like better? The mac or pc? Why?


And my biggest question as I type this on my laptop--if you are or have once been a PC user and switched to Mac--are you happy by it? Do you like it better? Are the programs friendly or is it a hassle? And how hard is it to transfer your programs from PC to the Mac?


I hate making big decisions this fast! So any help would be greatly appreciated!





5 comments:

MommyMert said...

I think its all preference. I prefer the PC, I also prefer desktop, not laptop... really though... I think its choice. Tim would be a good person to talk to though.

Kayli Sue said...

Oh my gosh I thought it was a person who died! I lost my laptop a few years ago after a great run. I miss that thing. I am still a PC user. So I can't really tell you if one is better. My father in law was a MAC user, went to a PC and then went running back to the MAC.

BrittanyLane said...

I switched from a PC to a Mac 5 years ago and have never looked back. Macs are WAY more expensive, but aside from the rare lemon, they last longer. I was so sick of the crashy crashy virus errors and daily updates... none of that on a mac. It still starts up and runs as well as it did the day I bought it. No kidding! There was a bit of a learning curve to figure out the short cuts and how to move things around, find things, etc. Now it's SO much easier.

The only annoying thing is that some files don't open when people email attachments in a program that I don't have on my computer. I installed VMware Fusion to solve the problem. It creates a "fake" PC inside my mac. I can use my old PC software such as Microsoft Office and Explorer on the pseudo computer and to open email documents. (I don't use them very often and didn't want to buy the mac version.) The mac is so much nicer for blogging, storing pictures, using the internet, etc. But again, they are almost twice the price... Sorry for the forever long comment. :)

The Woolley's said...

I agree with Brittany, Macs are the way to go. Especially if your computer just died from a virus. You don't have to worry about viruses on Macs, so nice. There is a slight learning curve as you transfer over but it is not hard and once you do you really can't go back, PC drive me up the wall and I grew up with them.

Gayatri said...

I would say..stick with PC. I had this experience with a Mac. I wanted to be a Mac user from what I heard of it..I was so shocked how difficult they make your life. I have been a software developer for 10 years and I didn't find it intuitive at all. For one..all the data in your PC would have to be reformated so, you can see it on your Mac which is sort of expected.
The things that bugged me..I couldn't find a way of selecting everything in the folder. In PC, we have a Ctrl+A command to do that. There was no way for me to select the 500GB of data all at once.
Next, I am a Photographer. There is no way to go to the next pic, once you are watching one..You have to close the file and then select the next one to open it. Couldn't believe I've to buy an app to do that?!
I was so..angry with this whole Mac thing by the end of the week. and returned it. And it costed double than the PC, and it didn't come with the 8GB ram I was looking for but, that I'm sure is not an issue for you. A PC with the 8GB ram (double that of the MAC) costed me half the price.. My 2 cents :-)